The University of Liverpool dates back to its 1881 opening, when they offered a two-year program known simply as the Business Curriculum. It would be roughly another 80 years before the Management School began to unofficially take shape in the early 1960’s, though official adoption of what’s now standard business instruction didn’t start until 1966.
The focal point for business instruction was originally the Chatham Building, which was opened in 1861 as a Methodist chapel. That building was sold to the University in 1949, with the ground floor and basement of the structure serving as an exam room for nearly two decades.
By 1981, the school began to offer undergraduate degrees, with the growth over the next decade, necessitating a refurbishment of the Chatham Building. This project ended up adding two additional floors and also put in a television studio.
In 2000, after more than a century of business instruction that had been an informal part of the curriculum, plans to officially construct the Management School were announced, with the building finished two years later. Subsequent expansions have since followed.