For nearly a century, Swansea University (SU) has educated students prior to entry into the real world, having done so under different names. At the time it opened in 1920, the University College of Swansea was connected to the University of Wales and by 1948; SU achieved the distinction of being the United Kingdom’s first campus University after the construction of additional facilities.
New research and discovery during the 1960’s helped SU gain greater credibility in the areas of engineering and design. This led to over a half-century of growth that became much more in evidence with added infrastructure.
In 1996, the school adopted the new name of the University of Wales Swansea, which was followed by a formal break with its educational parent in 2007. When the school officially achieved independence, it changed its name to Swansea University.
Two campuses currently make up SU, with one located in the eastern portion of Swansea and the other in the western area. The eastern segment is known as the Singleton Park campus, while the western area is the Bay campus.