Staffordshire University (SU), located in Stoke-on-Trent, began as the Central School of Science and Technology in 1914, a school that emphasized education in the fields of mining and ceramics. The scope of the educational options has grown exponentially over the past century, with more contemporary subjects like Forensic Science and Design for Computer Games now part of the curriculum.
In SU’s early years, expanding the narrow focus of study was a slow process. That was evident from the fact that two decades after the first students arrived, the school had just four departments that instructed those individuals. Besides pottery and mining, new segments devoted to engineering and chemistry were in place by 1934.
In 1970, a merger with the Staffordshire College of Technology, North Staffordshire College of Technology and the Stoke-on-Trent College of Art resulted in the new North Staffordshire Polytechnic. Seven years later, a school in Madeley that was geared to instruct the teachers of the future was brought into the fold. A name change to Staffordshire Polytechnic in 1988 and Staffordshire University in 1992 would follow.