Art served as the basis for beginning what eventually became Southampton Solent University (SSU) more than 160 years ago. Back in 1855, a private art college began operation and eventually took the name of the Southampton College of Art. Decades later, the school merged first with the Southampton College of Technology, followed by the College of Nautical Studies at Warsash. That eventually led to a 1984 name change that made the school the Southampton Institute of Higher Education.
During 2005, major changes resulted in not only a name change, but also an upgrade in the stature of the school to a university. This happened when SSU officially adopted the name it continues to hold today and also granted it the power to award degrees in its own name. Before this change, graduates had their degrees awarded by Nottingham Trent University.
The mergers that took place mean that SSU has two campuses for students. The first of those is the City Campus on England’s south coast, which faces East Park. The other is the Warsash Maritime Academy, right near the Hamble River.