The Royal Holloway, University of London is located between Windsor and Heathrow, with the Founder’s Building being the most prominent landmark. It began its educational mission in 1849, when Elizabeth Jesser Reid founded Bedford College. That school marked the innovative concept of educating women within the context of higher education.
Three decades later, a pharmaceutical pioneer named Thomas Holloway founded the Royal Holloway College that served as an all-women’s college for the first six decades of its operation.
In 1945, men were allowed to pursue postgraduate degrees at Royal Holloway followed by the 1965 decree that men would also be admitted as undergraduates at both schools. By 1985, both Bedford and Royal Holloway merged their collective schools to become Royal Holloway and Bedford New College. That came three years after government budgets cuts put both schools in financial peril.
The 1992 proposal that led to many former colleges being elevated to university status directly affected Royal Holloway and Bedford New College. They adopted the Royal Holloway, University of London name in response to that change.