Queen Margaret University (QMU), which is located in Musselburgh, East Lothian has come a long way since it first opened in 1875 as the Edinburgh School of Cookery and Domestic Economy. In addition to improving educational opportunities for Scottish women, the concept of improving the diets of those on the lower end of the economic scale was part of the institution’s original goal.
Slightly more than 50 years after those beginnings, QMU’s contemporary name was changed to the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science. However, by the early 1970’s, the growing role of women within the British workforce demanded a shift from a focus on domestic concerns, which led to the school being named in honor of Princess Margaret.
The 35-acre Musselburgh campus was constructed at a cost of approximately $130 million and opened during the 2007-08 academic year. Prior to that, stays in spots like Corstorphine and Leith were coupled with tenures in the Gateway Theatre. That was part of the school’s connection to the Edinburgh College of Speech and Drama, which became part of the school in 1971.