The main campus of Plymouth University is located in Plymouth, with the centralizing of what was a far-flung operation beginning after the school achieved university status in 1992. Prior to that, the school was a Polytechnic Institute that encompassed itself, the Exeter College of Art and Design, Rolle College and Seale-Hayne College.
The actual roots of the school date back more than 150 years, when it began as the School of Navigation in 1862. However, the more recent connections serve as the skeleton for what the school currently represents.
Three years prior to the 1992 elevation to becoming a university, the school was re-named as Polytechnic South West. When that upgrade arrived, the inclusion of the Plymouth School of Maritime Studies became part of the newly formed institution.
One of the more dramatic facets over the past quarter-century has been an increase on building up the infrastructure on campus including the house medical school instruction and the biomedical research and an arts building that stands nine stories tall. In addition, the expansion of the school’s library has also been undertaken.