Liverpool Hope University, located in the Merseyside section, has been around in one form or another for over 170 years, beginning with the 1844 opening of the Church of England’s Warrington Training College. This was followed 12 years later by the establishment of Sisters of Notre Dame’s Our Lady’s Training College, with both school’s set up to train women for teaching positions.
That approach stayed in place for over a century until the 1964 opening of Christ’s College, which is located across the street from where the current edition of Liverpool Hope is situated. By 1980, the decision was made to merge the three schools into Liverpool Institute of Higher Education, which involved the Catholic-based Christ’s College forging an ecumenical connection with the two Protestant institutions.
That connection was officially solidified in 1995, when Liverpool Hope acquired its name. A decade later, the school attained university status and now has close to 5,000 students attending classes. Roughly 80 percent of those individuals are at the undergraduate level, with the two current campuses located in Childwall and Everton.