The origins of the Leeds University Business School date back over 140 years ago, when Political Economy was the main focus of what was known as Yorkshire College in 1874. Since that time, a vast change in the scope of business has meant looking at things more through an international prism.
Early on, one course encompassed the extent of the school’s business instruction, with a combination of mathematics, an understanding of foreign currency, learning shorthand and bookkeeping was deemed sufficient. By 1902, the first Professor of Economics, John Harold Clapham, was hired, with a Department of Commerce created the following year.
In 1904, Yorkshire College was renamed the University of Leeds, with Economics and Accounting serving as the backbone of the school’s business studies. By the 1960’s specific schools devoted to Economic and Management Studies were opened.
In 1987, an Executive MBA curriculum was offered, followed in 1993 by the start of a full-time MBA program. By 1997, the full-fledged Leeds University Business School was officially formed, setting the stage for business education for the current total of 3,700 students.