Change has been frequent at Leeds Metropolitan University over the course of its history, something that’s continued in recent years. It is because in 2014, the school underwent another name change, becoming Leeds Beckett University. The name honors 2nd Baron Grimthorpe, a British banker and politician, whose name was part of one of the university’s early colleges, Beckett Park.
The actual beginning of the school dates back to 1824, when the Leeds Mechanics Institute opened. Segments devoted to art, literature and science changed that name, and eventually became the Leeds College of Technology (LCT) in 1927.
A 1970 merger between LCT, the Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics, the Leeds College of Commerce and a portion of the Leeds College of Art helped create Leeds Polytechnic. Just six years later, two more colleges joined the fold: the City Of Leeds College of Education and James Graham College.
After being given the right to officially award graduates with degrees in 1992, the school became Leeds Metropolitan University. A 2008 proposal to change the name to Leeds Carnegie University came up short.