In 1829, King George IV and the Duke of Wellington used the tradition of the Church of England in forming King’s College London (KCL). The early decades of the school represented a different philosophy from some of the other contemporary schools that were in operation at the time.
Besides offering a strong focus in the area of science, a more forceful emphasis by KCL’s early leaders on helping to educate women was also undertaken. Adding night classes in an effort to improve the financial abilities of the British workingmen also stood out.
A series of mergers over nearly two centuries has re-shaped the school, with departments devoted to the establishment of a dental school. Other female-oriented areas dealt with nursing training as well as the creation of the Household and Social Science Department.
By 1985, the merger of KCL with Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College took place, followed 12 years later by another merger with the Institute of Psychiatry. Only one year later came the merger of KCL’s nursing school with the Nightingale Institute of Nursing.