A history of over 130 years for any school offers the distinct possibility that name changes have been a common consideration over the course of its tenure. In the case of Glyndŵr University, the 2008 decree that gave the school the official opportunity to award degrees offered another change that lasted until it became Wrexham Glyndŵr University in 2016.
The 19th Century beginnings of this institution began in 1887 as Wrexham School of Science and Art. Four decades later, the school morphed into Denbighshire Technical Institute before tweaking its name 12 years later to become Denbighshire Technical College.
That would be a name that lasted for 36 years, until a 1975 merger created the North East Wales Institute of Higher Education (NEWI). Besides Denbighshire, the other schools that came together were the Cartrefle Teacher Training College and Kelsterton College of Connah’s Quay, Deeside.
This setup effectively stayed in place until the 2008 name change. The new school was named in honor of Owain Glyndŵr, an advocate for the establishment of Wales-based universities who served as a prince in medieval times.