Birmingham City University (BCU) achieved university status in 1992, yet its history dates back more than two decades, which was when Birmingham Polytechnic was created from a merger of five schools.
The earliest of those institution began in 1843 as the Birmingham College of Art. The school focused on music followed in 1859, with the College of Commerce opening up nearly 40 years later. During the 1960’s, two branches of the Birmingham Technical College began operations. The South campus began in 1961, followed five years later by the North campus.
It took four years following the 1971 convergence for BCU to once again expand. The result was The Anstey College of Physical Education being joined by dual Colleges of Education: Bordesley College and City of Birmingham College.
BCU’s Technology Innovation Centre was opened in 2000, with the Defence School of Health Care Studies merger with the Faculty of Health taking place the following year. By 2007, the name of the school was changed to Birmingham City University, with the City Centre campus’ most prominent addition since then being the Parkside Building.