The Cambridge campus of Anglia Ruskin University (ARU) is part of an educational structure that has other ARU campuses located in Peterborough and Chelmsford. In addition, three other campuses are shared with the College of West Anglia (CWA). A number of name changes have marked the school’s legacy, with the current name being created in 2005.
The name itself is a nod to the connection with CWA and John Ruskin, who offered the inaugural address at the Cambridge School of Art (CSA) in 1858. The CSA continued to evolve over the many decades since that address was presented, with the 1989 merger of what was then the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Essex Institute of Higher Education helping to create the Anglia Higher Education College. Just two years later, yet another name change created Anglia Polytechnic.
Within the past decade, the Cambridge campus has been drastically redeveloped, with a health care building opened on Young Street in 2014. In that vicinity is a center focused on music therapy, while 2018 will see the opening of a center devoted to science.