The humble origins of Aberystwyth University (AU) in 1872 saw a collection of students and a trio of instructors working out of a Wales hotel that was a work in progress. Over a nearly 150-year span, the school has been able to survive and grow, with the Penglais campus becoming the central component for learning since the 1960’s.
That period was when the construction of a number of different buildings began, each focusing on a specific area of study. In the midst of this growth, AU created the Department of Economics in 1963, followed seven years later by the Department of Computer Science.
Art and Drama departments followed just a few years later and were joined by another sector devoted to the subjects of microbiology and botany. In 1998, the Aberystwyth Business School was created out of a merger of different business-oriented areas.
Continued growth in a variety of different subject areas expanded the scope of AU’s overall focus. That’s led to an annual student population that’s above 8,700 individuals, with the bulk of those students pursuing an undergraduate degree.